Ruben Loftus-Cheek fired a hat-trick for his first Chelsea goals in 30 months to seal the Blues’ 3-1 Europa League win over BATE Borisov at Stamford Bridge.
England midfielder Loftus-Cheek is yet to start a Premier League match under new Chelsea boss Maurizio Sarri, but handed the taskmaster Italian an acute reminder of his talents with a coolly-taken treble.
Chelsea hardly had to shift into third gear to chug past their misfiring visitors and cement top spot in Group L, Aleksei Rios’ late header scant consolation for the Belarusians.
Chelsea XI: Arrizabalaga, Zappacosta, Christensen, Cahill, Emerson Palmieri, Loftus-Cheek, Fabregas, Kovacic, Willian, Giroud, Pedro
BATE XI: Scherbitski, Rios, Filipovic, Filipenko, Volodjko, Baha, Dragun, Hleb, Skavysh, Signevich, Stasevich
CHELSEA 3-1 BATE | LOFTUS-CHEEK (2, 8, 54), RIOS (79)
- Sarri makes 8 changes from Man Utd draw, Eden Hazard out injured
- Ruben Loftus-Cheek scores inside two minutes
- Loftus-Cheek pokes home from a corner
- Loftus-Cheek completes hat-trick inside 54 minutes
- Rios converts from point-blank range